We’ve all been there – you’re on the couch at home or sitting at your desk at work, and you could go for a snack to set you over until dinner time. What do you go for? Usually the quickest, cheapest thing you can find and it’s not always necessarily the best thing for you.
But, there is a healthy option – nuts. Heart healthy nuts are the perfect snack and they fill you up so you’re not indulging in unhealthy foods. The problem is, not all nuts are good for your health. Here are the best, heart healthy nuts that you should be snacking on during the day and why:
1. Walnuts – Both walnuts and fish are rich in Omega-3 Fatty Acids, but if you’re not a seafood lover, you can always turn to walnuts for a healthy snack.
2. Almonds – Almonds are rich in antioxidants including Vitamin E. They also provide lots of fiber and can help with weight loss.
3. Cashews – Rich in iron and zinc, cashews can help support your immune health. They also contain a type of monounsaturated fat called oleic acid, which may help support a healthy heart as well2.
4. Macadamia Nuts – These heart healthy nuts have the “greatest amount of heart-healthy monounsaturated fat,” which can in turn help support healthy levels of triglycerides and cholesterol.
5. Pistachios – Pistachios are loaded with potassium and Vitamin B6 which can help support your immune system, nervous system and provide you with an overall better mood. In addition, studies show pistachios may help lower cholesterol to support healthy cholesterol levels and a healthy heart3. .
6. Hazelnuts – These nuts are more than just flavor, they’re great for helping improve cardiovascular health.
With these heart healthy nuts in mind, remember that the types of nuts you should be avoiding are those that are filled with extra salt, sugar or flavored coating4. Nuts are best in their natural state and are great snacks in moderation, just like anything else.