During the busy holiday season, maintaining a healthy lifestyle can be difficult, especially for moms. There are so many things to do – from purchasing gifts, attending and hosting parties, travel planning, preparing special meals, decorating and, of course, lots of cookies and sweets. Even with the best intentions of a stress-free, relaxing holiday, it’s easy to feel overwhelmed! As a working mother, I’ve learned the key is to get ahead of the holiday season and dedicate time to take care of yourself. Here are five tips for my fellow working moms:
1. Make time for yourself and your family. Set a goal to make time for yourself each day, even if you have children at home during the holiday break. Take a walk, pray or meditate, get your nails done, read a book, or do something to replenish – you deserve it! Focus on family time and engage in bonding activities such as board games or cookie decorating, rather than electronics.
2. Set diet and sleep goals. It is important to determine what healthy foods and drinks you would like to eat so you can prepare ahead of time. Keep brain-healthy snacks, such as walnuts or almonds, on hand and limit your alcohol intake. Also, never underestimate the importance of good sleep – aim for at least 7 hours of sleep each night.
3. Positive Mindset. Many moms spend a lot of time worrying about how things will go during this stressful time of the year and try to control uncontrollable situations. Going with the flow can increase your brain's healthy activity. The key is to accept that it is okay if you are off schedule here and there. Release the pressure on yourself and enjoy the holidays knowing that you will eventually return to your normal routine.
4. Delegate. Ask for help! You are not the only one who can make the holidays magical. Delegate responsibilities to other family members or friends so that everyone shares in the effort. Remember no one is going to do things exactly the way you would and that is okay. Try to be tolerant towards what others contribute because it provides you time to take care of other priorities.
- 5. Supplements. Even if you make the extra effort, it can be difficult to get all your nutritional needs via diet alone, especially during this time of year. I recommend Neuriva as the brain supplement of choice because it is backed by science. Neuriva has ingredients that have been clinically tested and helps with things like focus, which can be helpful during the hectic holiday season.*
While the holidays are sure to be filled with lots of hustle and bustle, I hope these tips will help you stay focused on the most important things in life – good health and time with friends and family. Happy holidays!
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.