Cranberry Almond Biscotti: Recipes to Feed Your Immune Army
Cranberry Almond Biscotti
These delightful cookies are bursting with immune-supporting nutrients as well as flavor! Cranberries are a good source of immune-boosting Vitamin C and manganese. And recent studies show that naturally occurring chemicals found in almonds improve white blood cells’ ability to detect harmful invaders and prevent them from replicating, even after almonds are digested!
• 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
• ½ cup white sugar (¾ cup if using reduced-sugar cranberries)
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• ½ teaspoon baking soda
• 2 whole eggs
• 2 egg whites
• ¾ tablespoon almond extract
• ¼ tablespoon vanilla extract
• ¾ cup sliced almonds
• 1 cup sweetened dried cranberries
• Preheat oven to 325ºF. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
• Combine dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, egg whites, vanilla and almond extract.
• Add egg mixture to dry ingredients. Using an electric mixer (medium speed), mix just until moist. Add almonds and dried cranberries and mix thoroughly.
• On a floured surface, divide dough in half. Pat each half into a log approximately 14” long and 1½” thick. Place logs on baking sheet and bake until firm and just starting to crack, about 30 minutes. Remove and cool.
• Reduce oven temperature to 300ºF. Cut logs on a diagonal into ½” slices or thinner if you prefer. Place the cut cranberry almond biscotti on the baking sheet and bake an additional 20 minutes until lightly browned. Cool and enjoy!
Yield: At least 30 cranberry almond biscotti, depending on how thinly you slice them.